Week of March 23, 2020

These are truly historic times we are living through. One suggestion I saw suggested children who are old enough keep a journal or diary about what they are doing each day. This could combine writing, reading, artwork, etc. It could be saved and become a historical record to share with their children and grandchildren about what they did during the 2020 Pandemic. I would suggest keeping TV news to a minimum while the children are up, though. Too much exposure is not good for adults even let alone the children. Focus on the positive things, like the board games you’re playing, the walks, the card games they might be learning.

This past week, I have been using emails, FaceTime and Zoom and an app called HouseParty to keep in touch with families, colleagues from Allen Park Schools, and family members. I have started a Book Club to encourage my cousin’s 8 year old to read a chapter book. My cousin is a nurse manager at Michigan Medicine. She comes home exhausted and this is one way I can be supportive from afar.

If you haven’t done so already, you can encourage your children to call or FaceTime grandparents, aunts/uncles etc and read to them. They could tell them jokes, read a poem, tell facts they learned while doing their school work at home. Extended family and friends can be supportive to you and the Bobcats that way. And, getting to “be” with the children is a day brightener for many.

I will continue to update my blog and share information with classroom teachers for their Google Classroom sites.

My email address is artman@appublicschools.com

I wish I knew all the answers to how everything will be resolved in the coming weeks, but at this time I don’t. I am here for you, though, if you have questions.

Here’s some links to use at your discretion:

Activities for the Children and Family

Nasa pictures released

National Park Virtual Tours

Broadway Musicals 

Michigan Science Center

Olaf Actor Reads Stories

Children’s Authors Read Their Books

Stories Read in Spanish

Animated Stories

TED Talks for Kids

For older siblings/students:

TED Talks for Middle School

TED Talks for Middle and High School